Saturday, March 2, 2013


When I Think of Research…

                                                By Lisa Martin

When I started my class regarding research competency I was full of apprehension. The thought of having to do a research study left me feeling totally overwhelmed and a little scared.  It brought back to me my days as a premed major in college and the required lab classes and lab reports I hated. I took some comfort in the knowledge some of my classmates shared my apprehension. Fortunately, this was not quite like that at all.  Now that I have survived the class and completed a simulated study, I must say it was all I expected and more. Research requires real forethought and planning, as well as constant adaptation, especially in the field of early childhood education and development. I can fully appreciate why researchers are so passionate about their work. You, the researcher are charged with investigating a topic in the hope of shedding light on some phenomenon that can improve the quality of life for children and families, or help teachers find better methods of fostering healthy development in all domains.

For a researcher to be successful in their quest they must be thorough and reflexive in their planning, designing and implementation. It is so important that the researcher know exactly what question he or she most wants to answer or what information they want to provide to the public. Knowing his or her goal, he must identify the best methods for acquiring the data that will prove their theory or hypothesis and answer their research question. During the process of designing  the experiment and selecting the subjects and other participants, the researcher at all times must be cognizant of the need for objectivity and willing to engage in constant self-reflexivity so that at no time is his ego or personal opinions a threat to the validity of the study; nor is there any overt power inequalities. A researcher must never place himself above the study or his participants. For many this can become a real challenge, and interfere with the effectiveness and validity of their research.

I have learned so much in the past eight weeks about experimental design and research tools, and how to read research papers; which will be important to my future success as an early education professional. Understanding how to read research reports and what to look for in a study will prove most valuable to me as these lessons will make me a better consumer of research. After all, our best practices regarding the provision of high quality early education are based on this research. My passion has always been the quality of education received by each child, and the equality and equity of that education afforded to those children considered less fortunate or at risk. This would explain why I found myself far more interested in the ethics and validity of research than the actual methods and statistical analysis. As an early research professional committed to lifelong learning, I have identified yet another hat I must wear – keeper of the standard, approver of the research that dictates my choice of teaching methods. I am glad I had the opportunity to simulate a research study, and get a better understanding of the entire research process, especially those things that can poison the data. The same stereotypes, homogeneity, and inequities we strive to keep out of our classrooms and communities can be entwined in the very research we rely on to operate those classrooms.

I was also impressed with the number of organizations including the government that had adopted rules and policies regarding a code of ethics for the research field especially as it pertains to research involving children.  As I developed my research simulation, I was constantly concerned with and checking for ways to ensure its validity.  It was necessary for me to accept that I may have preconceived notions about certain groups or organizations and confront them head on. It was also important that I use various triangulation methods, as well as objectivity and reflexivity to improve the validity of my study, and make sure that I am lead by the information as it presents itself and not vice versa. A researcher can be their own worst enemy if they try to control the direction of the study. They can alienate participants and violate their rights, or fail to disclose important information or potential for harm to the subjects or participants. Thanks to this course I know the importance of a researcher leaving their ego outside the study area. I have also acquired an interest in actually doing some research.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I enjoyed sharing this class with you. Through discussion boards and blog sharing, we got to learn a lot about research but each other as well. Like you, I was nervous at the idea of research but feel a little more at ease since we are finally done. Good luck with your next class and all your future aspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to read so many posts from colleagues that felt the same way. We truly seemed to be all on the same page about what we were learning and difficulties along the way. It seems that the further into this program I get, the more like-minded we all become. I look forward to meeting in other classes down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is heart warming to know that other people felt the same way that i did about the course. I totally agree with you that research demand planning, forethought and constant self reflexivity to achieve validity in study. Finally i want to thank you for all the comments made to both my discussion post and blog.Wish you all the best in your future endeavor and hope we meet in next course.

    ReplyDelete