Saturday, April 27, 2013


My Professional Hopes and Goals

                                                By Lisa Martin

It is my hope that as an anti-bias early childhood educator and an advocate for children and families everywhere I will be able to contribute to the emergence of a more tolerant and equitable society. It is my hope that I along with my devoted colleagues and classmates will be able to impact change from every corner of the globe. I accept that change does not occur overnight or in a vacuum, but I believe as Louise Derman-Sparks that it is our vision of a better more peaceful world, where equity and justice are available to all humankind, that generates the passion and motivation to keep us striving towards its fulfillment (Laureate Education, 2011).

It is my goal to be the type of early education professional that is able to work with and support children and families from all over the world, as I create an anti-bias classroom that embraces diversity. I will be a teacher who knows herself well enough to make sure her cultural framework never interferes with her ability to make others feel at ease in her presence, and allows her cultural responsiveness shine through in every situation. I want young children and their families to be at home in my classroom. I intend to partner with families and empower them to advocate for the best possible outcomes for their children. I will work towards greater equity and social justice for the children and families I serve.

My passion has grown over the past eight weeks as I have witnessed the passion of my classmates. My peers shared their experiences and thoughts with me in a most unselfish way, driving me to do the same. It is them that helped me perform the deep self-reflection I needed to really understand who I am, and examine the feelings I had internalized and buried so deep I was able to ignore them. We as a group were fortunate to have a professor who inspired greater critical thinking and made sure we always took a broader view of any subject. I want to thank my classmates for teaching me about their countries and cultures, and taking the time to read my blog and offer insights.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Diversity and equity work: Lessons learned. [Video webcast]. Retrieved from                                                                                              https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse %26id%3D2651 0391%26url%3D

4 comments:

  1. We indeed hope to support families and children as we work with them. It is a gradual journey as we learn more about early childhood education. I wish you success in your future courses. It was nice having you as a professional colleague, I hope we meet again in the next course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lisa,

    I really like your statement like this: "I will be a teacher who knows herself well enough to make sure her cultural framework never interferes with her ability to make others feel at ease in her presence, and allows her cultural responsiveness shine through in every situation"

    It need a deep reflection to be true to our self, being honest to see and accept our own self before we move to accept and work with the other selves...

    Keep in touch, keep up the good work and all the best for you Lisa!

    Regadrs

    Evita Kartikasari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    It was a great pleasure and keep up the great work. Best of luck with your feature courses.

    Anti- bias education is a good thing for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lisa,
    I enjoyed learning with you and all classmates in this course. My understanding of the culture, Diversity, Equity, and Social Justice has been deepened through your insights on many concepts. Now, we are making the end of the course. Similar with you, I hope that we can help people understand the earth is the only planet we live by advocating children and their families everywhere. I love the quote "it is our vision of a better more peaceful world, where equity and justice are available to all humankind that generates the passion and motivation to keep us striving towards its fulfillment" (Laureate Education, 2011). Thank you for the supporting and helping through the course study.

    ReplyDelete