Saturday, January 18, 2014


My Search for Collaboration and Opportunity
                                                                                                  by Lisa Martin
I realize the importance of really getting involved in the community I have identified to be the central focus of my Capstone project – Newark, New Jersey.  I think it would be helpful to collaborate with those who share similar passions outside of the community of practice (CoP) I intend to form. I was surprised to find that there were so many organizations with similar objectives. The first group to capture my attention was the Newark Education Trust, “a non-profit local education fund focused on ensuring a quality education for all Newark children” (Local Talk News, 2011, paragraph 1). Not only would my CoP share their goal, but the membership of their collaboration is also very similar to what I have planned, with representation from the education, business, and community coming together. Another organization of interest, that supports the Trust, is the Newark Alliance which is a collaboration of higher education, local business, and state entities to improve education in Newark.

I also feel a great need to support my own personal commitment to lifelong learning. With that in mind I am interested in Education Pioneers, a national organization that understands the importance of having strong leadership and systems in place to support education. “They believe that for schools, districts, and systems to enable all children to achieve at high levels, we must focus on effective teaching and the quality of leadership and management of these schools, districts, and systems”; a belief I share (Education Pioneers, 2014, paragraph 1). In the past they have initiated projects in New Jersey, and a major effort was geared towards bringing talent to Newark. I believe that being involved in this type of organization will encourage me to constantly think outside the box and improve my practice.

Speaking of practice, I have been considering what opportunities might provide the best utilization of my education and talents. The first thing I need to do is create a resume as an early childhood professional, I have to be able to market myself even though I have no real preschool experience. I would love the chance to work with s dynamic organization like the Children’s Defense Fund, but there were no current postings other than a data entry position. The Goddard School was looking for a Program Director within reasonable travel distance here in New Jersey. I definitely want a more administrative/executive role, but if I am going to be a program director I will start my own center, which was my initial plan. Lately, I have been thinking about working with an established organization devoted to improving equity and access to quality education for all children, hence my desire to work with the Children’s Defense Fund.

I am going to create a resume highlighting my education at Walden coupled with my management and business accomplishments and send it to the United Nations Children’s Fund, Save the Children, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, the Children’s Defense Fund, and other organizations I discover that make huge contributions to helping children. I was so sure about what I wanted to do when I started this journey, but now I just feel the need to be in a position to impact the lives of the greatest number of children and families. I feel I can do more as a children’s advocate at CASA – Court Appointed Special Advocates, than overseeing my own small program.

Furthermore, the only positions available in early childhood in my state are teachers, administrators and associate administrators, and most of them require preschool teaching experience. I know that I could be a good teacher, but that is not my passion. I can step into an advocacy role without the teaching experience. I have the knowledge of child development, as well as the communication, organizational, and leadership skills that would make me an asset to any of the groups I mentioned. I also have a wealth of personal experience that makes me genuinely empathetic and compassionate. I am culturally competent, with a firm grasp on my own cultural framework, and an understanding of the influence of social and cultural identities, which allows me to interact well with all people. Unfortunately, I have been unable to identify any advocacy positions in my area. Hopefully, sending out my resume will generate interest and possibilities.

References:

Education Pioneers. (2014). Our mission and values. Retrieved January 18, 2014, from http://www.educationpioneers.org/what-we-do/our-mission-and-values

Local Talk News. (2011, January). Newark Education Trust launched to ensure quality education in Newark. Retrieved January 18, 2014 from http://localtalknews.com/newark/education/724-newark-education-trust-launched-to-ensure-quality-education-in-newark

6 comments:

  1. Lisa- It sounds like you are on the road to success both with your Capstone project and your future career in the world of early childhood education. I really enjoyed reading about all the CoP you are considering as well as all the commendable organizations you would like to work for in the future. Personally, I too am more interested in the administrative aspect of EC rather than teaching. Having taught for almost twenty years, I am ready to move forward into a position that advocates for young children's quality of early learning.

    Have a great weekend,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. I could really use some of your teaching experience. Today at church I had to cover the 3-5yr olds and boy was I a little out of my element. I teach the 6-9yr olds - a big difference.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lisa-
    I admire your dedication and leadership. Access to quality education and improving equity for children is a hope I wish for all children. I have always thought about running my own in-home childcare center, but it's crazy how life leads us elsewhere. Throughout my journey with Walden, my passion for helping others and advocating beyond the classroom has grown stronger. My heart also sits with the Children's Defense Fund as I applaud their accomplishments and projects in helping children around the world. As for right now, the classroom is a good fit for me, but I too would like to someday look beyond the classroom and be a part of something bigger. Sounds like wonderful goals Lisa…good luck to your accomplishments!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy,

      I thought I wanted my own program, but I just feel that I could impact more children and families working for an organization like the Children's Defense Fund or UNICEF.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    You really sound like me. I do not have any serious Preschool experience until I started a school a few years ago yet I am very much interested in quality and effective teaching to enhance the quality of education that our young children receive. I really identify with Education Pioneers. I am fascinated by their focus on quality leadership and management of our school districts etc. I am tempted to want to include them in my community of practice since I am interested in looking at how we can improve the quality of teachers so that our young children can receive quality learning. You are on a great path and I deeply appreciate your passion for quality education. Good luck as you proceed on the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercy,

      We both feel strongly that teacher education and training is a key measurement of quality when it comes to the early education program. My ultimate dream position would be total responsibility for the quality of the nation's education system. Yes, I want Arne Duncan's job - Secretary of Education, but I am willing to work my way up. Of course, I am joking - but not really.

      Lisa

      Delete