Saturday, October 13, 2012


MY SUPPORTS

BY LISA MARTIN

I had to really think about my daily supports. The most obvious one was my husband, who often handles tasks and runs errands for me if I do not have time. He cooks dinner sometimes, picks up the dry cleaning, and remembers things that I somehow forget. Then I considered my staff, my co-workers who contribute to the success of the branch, by collaborating with me to get things done. I have other supports that I rely on daily; among them are my car and money. Both the car and the money allow me to get where I need to be and do what I need to do.  I also rely a great deal on my sister. She serves as a sounding board, confidante, and event and shopping companion.

I remember once my car had to stay at the dealer for repair, and I opted not to take the loaner. I felt confined and at the mercy of others for the weekend without my car. I was restricted in what I could do because of where I could go. Once I gave the entire staff the day off to attend some event, and had to man the office alone. It was challenging and lonely. I got through the day, but I could not imagine running the branch on my own. I also remember going through a sort of withdrawal when my sister was on an extended business trip. I could still call and speak to her, but we could not do anything together. I had to run my Saturday errands alone, go to the mall alone, in the end I spent more time at home for those three months. My husband has never been sick or away on business, so I can only imagine how lost I would be if he were not around.  I would definitely eat a lot more unhealthy crap and sleep poorly.

If I were to choose a challenge or disability to imagine myself having and how this would affect my current supports and force me to rely on new supports, I would select blindness. If I could not see, I would be unable to drive and the lack of freedom I felt that one weekend my car was being repaired would become a constant. My reliance on my husband and sister would greatly increase. The branch would cease to exist for me, as my staff would have a new leader; and the job that plays such a big role in my life and how I view myself and perhaps am viewed would be no more. I am sure I would identify new supports, like audio books or a seeing-eye dog.

I would have to move to a one level, ranch style house, trust someone else to coordinate my outfits, and eat even more of my husband’s cooking. I wonder if I would be able to enjoy my favorite programs and movies when only able to hear them. In the end I believe my husband and my sister would do everything possible to help me enjoy the quality of life I knew before losing my sight. They would do things like find cooking classes for the blind, so I could still cook and bake. My sister would probably organize my closet so I could dress myself, and she would definitely make sure I made it to service every Sunday. On the bright side I would finally have a dog – to which my husband could no longer object.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa
    I enjoy reading blog because of the ways you describe the support you received from your husband and the way you would depend on your sister to help you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I enjoyed reading about your "non-human" supports. I, also, do not know what I would do without my car. Also, to many, animals are very much a part of their support system. I am sorry that it would take an act of blindness to have a dog as part of your support system. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I definitely take appreciation of my car as well, as it gets me from point A to point B, from day to day. Animals also are a great support system--hopefully one day you can convince your husband to get a pup. They are wonderful pets and I wouldn't trade mine for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, I am so happy that your spouse has been a postive supporting loving man in your life. I was not as fortunate, my husband and I have parted ways, it has been challenging for me and my children. I thank God that he puts other people in your life that are supportive and loving. Without my parents and siblings, I would really feel as though I am alone. But honstly Lisa, I am never alone God has reassured me that He and He alone would take care of me and provide my needs. My faith has strengthened and blossomed. Again, I am happy that you have loving people in your life.

    ReplyDelete