Saturday, November 3, 2012


EXPANDING MY RESOURCES
                                                                        By Lisa Martin                      

It is important to me that I remain informed of advances and current research in the field of early childhood care and education. It is equally important to me that I am aware of what is happening in the field globally, so I like this new direction my blog will be taking. I am excited about having the opportunity to share information and gain insights from early education professionals from other countries, not that I do not currently have such opportunity with my international classmates at Walden University. I really want to be “pen pals” with a professional from the Netherlands, because of their government’s commitment to early education. “The Netherland government considers child care as an integral and essential part of economic growth” (Neugebauer, 2007, p. 58); a notion the United States seems to be finally adopting. To this end, I contacted UNICEF and asked to be put in contact with an early childhood professional from the Netherlands, and immediately received a response in Dutch – which thanks to Google I quickly translated, stating they will address my request and needed my actual address. I have not heard anything further, but am hopeful I will make contact with a dedicated professional from the Netherlands.

I also emailed Marcelle Delahaye Camping, the CEO and Founder of Liberty Foundation and Delfena Mitchell, the Director of the Liberty Foundation Children’s Home in Belize. This program opened in the summer of 2005 and takes in children who have been abandoned, abused or orphaned and many have disabilities, special needs or are HIV positive, predominantly between birth to 5 years of age. I discovered them at the World Forum website. I received an auto response from Delfena, but nothing more. I also signed up with UNESCO because they do so much for children around the world, and I was interested in following issues and trends on a global level. I will receive weekly updates from them, and be able to share any really interesting or insightful stories with you.

If I do not get a response from the people I reached out to, I will have to use the alternative method of gathering and exchanging, which I would prefer not to.

Reference

Neugebauer, R. (2007). Early childhood trends around the world. Exchange, (175), 58–63.

 

4 comments:

  1. Wow Lisa! You are the first person I've known with this assignment to get response! Lucky you. Myself and many other classmates are still waiting to hear from one of our future "pen pals." If you get some insight from your Netherlands source you've got to definitely share it. I would love to hear how their educational programs are ran.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The response was from UNICEF not an actual teacher. So I am in the same boat with everyone else.

      Delete
  2. I like how you chose the word pen pals...because that's what we are going to be! Glad you got a response back from one of your choices. I am still waiting to hear back from mine. Crossing my fingers I hear something this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not a response from a future "pen pal" but just UNICEF saying they would pass my request along.

      Delete