Friday, December 21, 2012


 

My Take Aways: The International Early Education Field

                                                                   By Lisa Martin

Learning about the early education field on an international level has really opened my eyes, not only to the struggle but the promise as well. Sure, I knew that in many of the poorer countries the opportunity to attend school – let alone preschool, was a huge privilege, but I did not realize that this sense of luxury was not limited to developing countries. It surprised me that in countries with a decent gross national product early education is still rare, and definitely only available to those who could afford the honor. It really disturbed me to discover that the United States is falling further behind in education, and far from being a leader. It gave me hope and promise to see that the countries that value their young children as their future invest well in early education and consider it a matter of national consequence. It was also interesting that in countries that saw the importance of early education, the teaching profession is viewed with respect and teachers well paid. This realization made me a bit sad, because it said to me that my country does not fully value children and their education. Teaching in the United States is viewed as what you do when you cannot get into medical school or law school.

I found myself drawing correlations between the poverty in Paraguay and the United States, and I was ashamed for my country. I begin to think how great it was that here in the United States we had finally come to realize the importance of investing in our young children from birth, and began to imagine an American early education system that would outshine and outperform countries like Finland and the Netherlands. I read of all the tremendous efforts and dedication of organizations like the Children’s Defense Fund, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization and the Center on the Developing Child and I felt encouraged, because I know that this work shall bear fruit and not be in vain. I believe we must come together and adopt the best practices based on outcomes from around the world. I am excited about the joining of minds and ideas that will lead to an overhaul of the early education system from the outside in – hopefully the United States will lead the way, and provide a road map for all countries to follow; knowing this is the pathway to national growth and strength. In the process, we will alleviate poverty, increase opportunities for all families, and give each child his human and civil right to a quality early education; and in the process we will create a better stronger global community.  Studying early education internationally made it clear to me that we must be our brothers and sisters keepers all around the world.

5 comments:

  1. It has been quite an adventure these 8 weeks. Early childhood education is very rewarding and fulfilling. Some of us are not in the field because we couldn't get into medical school. We are in the field because of the passion we have for the education of children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa for sharing your insights with us over the past 8 weeks. I have truly enjoyed reading your posts. This post certainly mirrors my desire for the U.S. to begin to place greater value on early childhood education and once again rise to become a leader in educational performance across the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you Lisa, it has truly been a learning experience in regards to international early childhood education. At lot of what I learned, I had no clue about. With that being said, I guess I can consider what I learned from these last 8 weeks in our readings and interaction with all of you, has taught me more than I could have ever expected! It has been a pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These past eight weeks have taught me a lot about early childhood education programs in the USA and international countries as well just like you Lisa.
    Thank You and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lisa,

    I am looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete