Saturday, January 19, 2013


My Personal Research Journey

                                        By Lisa Martin

I cannot begin to tell you how apprehensive I was about researching a topic for my current course. I chose a topic that was of interest to me, the effects of maternal absence on the social emotional development of young children age five to eight. My sisters and I fell into this age range when our mother died, and though we turned out fine, I have often wonder what the odds are of children having happy, normal lives without a mother present. I was even able to break my topic down into three subtopics. The first subtopic investigates whether or not children whose mothers are not present in the home are more likely to demonstrate behavioral problems in school, specifically a lack of self-control and acting out. The second subtopic raises the question of whether or not children raised in foster care environments have difficulty forming friendships and relationships in general.  The third subtopic looks at whether maternal absence increases resilience.

Unfortunately, I am having difficulty finding current research on maternal death and the effects of young children. There are studies about children in Africa losing parents to HIV/AIDS, but I wanted to focus on motherless children right here in the United States for my research. Furthermore, most of the articles are several years old. I am going to continue to search for articles, and now books that deal with the subject of maternal death in childhood, and I am going to focus my research on the idea of behavioral problems resulting from maternal absence.

The process thus far has been an incredible learning experience, as I know very little about research and struggle with the scientific jargon. By keeping a research chart and learning to put the research phrases in my own words I am developing a better understanding of research in general. Also, in searching for article on my subject I did come across articles that may be of help to my colleagues in their research. I would suggest to everyone that the go to the Walden library and search for relevant articles under the multidisciplinary databases and the SocIndex. If you should come across any links offering information on maternal absence and its effects, please let me know. I am really excited about going on this adventure with all of you, and look forward to following your findings.            

4 comments:

  1. Hello Lisa,

    I must say that I have faced challenges as well. as I was reading about your topic, have you tried to find information from the foster care industry. The must have a ton of information on that as maternal death is one of the reasons children end up in foster care. Just a thought. If I see of any information that will be helpful to you, I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    Maybe you can check the American Psychological Association website. There is a selected article on Social connectedness and mothering: Effects of Maternal Employment and Maternal absence by Tolman, Audrey E.,Diekman, Kristina A.[Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol 56[6], June 1989,942- 949.

    The draw back i see is the date of publication,maybe as you search further, might see what roundly fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    This is a wonderful topic!!! I too was raised without my mother. I was raised by my paternal grandmother. I turned out fine. However, my brother and sister who were raised by our maternal grandmother did not. Neither graduated school and have been in out and of trouble. So this research topic is very important to me. I am anxious to see your outcomes. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,
    You chose a very interesting topic. As I was reading your post, I could not help but think about my sisters and I. We to experienced the death of our mother while we were very young children and lived in poverty but by the Grace of God we all turned out ok. It is very hard for children when they do not have a mother and some become bitter. I wish you the best in your research and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete