Friday, July 13, 2012

REMEMBERING THE MANY FACES OF CHILDHOOD

MY CHILDHOOD WEB


           Growing up in the midst of an extended family was truly a blessing. It afforded me numerous human relationships that “influenced my development intellectually, socially, emotionally, physically, behaviorally, and morally” (National Scientific Council on the Developing Child, 2004, p. 1). My childhood was a system of healthy and thriving mesosystems supporting a strong microsystem. A microsystem and mesosystem that made it easier to withstand the harsh blows delivered by the exosystem, while strengthening the macrosystem. I cannot tell you about all the wonderful people who cared for and nurtured me, making me feel loved and special. For me to do so would mean weaving a very large and intricate web, reminiscent of Charlotte.
         I will tell you that I had more teachers than I can count on my fingers that facilitated my learning in all areas, and left a lasting impression on me. There were neighbors and dear family friends that taught me lessons I remember to this day. I had coaches and counselors who fostered in me a more positive self-concept and increased self-confidence, because their message to me was always yes I could, I only needed to try. To this day I push and challenge myself to reach higher and dig deeper thanks to these people.   
          Of course, there was my family, a source of constant unconditional love, guidance, support and protection. Four of the five people in my web are family member whose teachings and life lessons, along with their support and encouragement are responsible for the adult you know today. My web does not include my uncles who taught me how to play chess; how to play and understand the rules of football, baseball, and basketball; how to drive when I was old enough to learn; and made me feel as though instead of having an absentee father I had three dads – not sure how my cousins would feel about this. I cannot leave out my sisters, because my relationship with them was indeed training for many relationships to come.
































8 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I know it was a pleasure as well as a honor to grow up with such beautiful women who has showed you unconditional love and support throughout your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was an honor to be raised by such strong Black women, and I miss each of them very much.

      Delete
  2. You have a great visual! I think it is interesting to note that all of the influences you chose are female, with the exception of your teacher. This may have made him even more vital to your support system. Do you find that he was a good role model as a male, as well as a good teacher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had great male role models in my three uncles and Godfather. Mr Gayer was just an extraordinary teacher.

      Delete
  3. Your post made me smile. It is a beautiful thing to have so many positive influences in one's life. They are there through the good times to applaud you and there through the rough times to catch you when you fall and lift you up when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mimi. I still have my Aunt Carol and she is always there for me, not to mention she is my biggest cheerleader - cheering me on all the way.

      Delete
  4. Wow, there was a lot of support for you while growing up. It shows in the way you speak, that they influenced you a great deal. How did being in a extended family feel? Did you ever feel like you weren't getting the attention or help you wanted at any time? It is awesome to hear when a child has a mass of individuals to help nuture and support them as they grow and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, I was always the center of someone's attention. My sisters and I received an abundance of love - which every child should.

      Delete